Wednesday 6 June 2012

Bracing myself for little bear

I cannot express how much I loathe typing on a laptop instead of a pc without using the sort of words that are completely unsuitable for a blog with what I hope is family appeal.  I would have to go so far beyond even standard f words - I hate hate hate typing on a laptop.  I can do about three words a minute and the key I press the most is the backspace key.  Grrrrrr

I may have a bit less tolerance than normal as little bear has set up my day in a particulary grim way.  Yesterday I let him go and play on the 'House of Mouse' on Whitby front near the harbour.  I sat on the nearby bench and gritted my teeth for over an hour as he hurtled round a small fun house the size of two static caravans one on top of the other.  It was decorated with Disney figures, but I am fairly confident that it isn't official Disney products.  So for the vast sum of £1.50 little bear could hurtle round and round and round a very small space for an unlimited time.  I could sit in the cold wind for an unlimited time. 

Today little bear wants to go back for two hours.  Two long, cold and damp hours with a hint of rain.  What joy.  I will be taking a book, but I know I won't be able to keep concentration as I will be watching out, just in case.  The agreement for two hours was part of an extended negotiated settlement that meant he actually got into bed at a reasonable hour.  He will enjoy that time sooooo much, it seems a shame to deny him.  I shall just shiver and hope it stays dry.

I have tried to persuade little bear that in return he will come and see the museum with me, but I don't think that one is going to fly.  When I first suggested it little bear just burst out laughing.  "Don't be silly," He said.  "The museum is in Leeds."  He is completely unconvinced that there can be more than one museum in the world, and I feel I have significantly failed him  Small town museums can be gloriously eclectic and eccentric.  The independent museum in Pickering is brilliant and lots of fun.  Perhaps OH could have a session with little bear while I sneaked off to the museum, but he is coming down with a sore throat.

I also hope to sneak off long enough to get some fish from a fish shop in Whitby, and hopefully cook it in a way that doesn't involve just bunging it in the oven with milk and butter.  The smoke alarms haven't gone off when OH cooked bacon, so I am confident that it may be possible to fry something here.  I shall see how it goes. 

No comments: